Haughville Parish Hall Saved from Demolition
The Archdiocese of Indianapolis donated the former Holy Trinity Parish Hall to Indiana Landmarks just before Thanksgiving. The Parish Hall, which has about 21,000 square feet over three floors, includes a full-size gymnasium with basketball court. It is located in the Haughville Historic District, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. This means that historic tax credits and other incentives will be available when it comes to needed investment in the building. Indiana Landmarks plans to market the building for sale in the near future, likely after some needed masonry repairs.
Affordable Housing Options Increase Neighborhood Vitality
The Pershing Apartments is a renovation of six affordable rental units in the existing 1920’s two-story, 5120 sq. ft. brick structure at 518 Pershing Street. The project will feature one-bedroom, one bath renovated units. The project was awarded $300,000 in HOME funds in 2014 for this renovation. The scope of work will include: exterior windows, electrical upgrades, exterior paint, interior demolition, plumbing, new HVAC, new flooring and new cabinetry. The apartments are located in a highly-visible corridor within the 38th and Illinois Great Places neighborhood and is a visible indicator of the ongoing revitalization of this Great Place neighborhood. This projected is being developed by Riley Area Development Corporation.